Here are some discussion questions to get us thinking and applying the sermon from Sunday.
Additionally, you may find it helpful to look at the presentation from a few weeks ago that outlined the structure of Sovereign Grace Churches. Follow this link to view it.
- What questions did you have during or after the sermon? Did you have any insights that weren’t mentioned?
- When talking about church governance, what type of doctrine are we talking about regarding its relative importance? What are the marks of a church? What are some doctrines that are matters of church health?
- What was the main point of the sermon? How was it outlined?
- What did you learn about the differences between autonomous/independent churches and connected churches, both theologically and practically?
- On what basis did the sermon claim that churches are not voluntary associations? Do you agree or disagree with this argument from Ephesians 2 and 4? Why or why not? What sort of relationship do independent churches have with other churches and why might this be insufficient when we consider the gospel and its benefits?
- Why did the sermon argue that organic unity should be expressed through institutional connectionalism?
- On what basis did the sermon argue that elders should rule local churches? Do you agree with this argument? How should the congregation participate in major decisions? How does Christ rule his church?
- Do you think that there are lessons explicitly taught or inferred by good and necessary consequence? What principles can we learn from Acts 15 about church governance?
- What benefits might there be in connecting to other churches? What might change? What might stay the same?
- What must not drive our decision and how does this gospel counter this problem?